A series of environmental rallies are scheduled to take place in Helsinki from October 1 to 7. The rallies have been organized by the Extinction Rebellion (XR) movement and will be held to demand that the government take greater action to address climate change. The majority of the rallies are set to take place at Senate Square, however, certain times and locations have yet to be announced. The below timings and locations of the rallies have been confirmed:
- Oct. 1: Rally on Senate Square from 1900 (local time)
- Oct. 2: Rally on Senate Square from 1600-1700
- Oct. 3: March from Rautatientori to Hakaniemen Tori beginning at 1300
- Oct. 4: Rally on Senate Square from 1000-1700
- Oct 5: Procession around Senate Square from 1400-1700
- Oct. 6: Likely rally on Senate Square. Details to be confirmed.
- Oct. 7: Rally location TBC from 1800-2000
Public gatherings in Finland remain banned due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), therefore police may attempt to disperse activists. A heightened security presence and associated disruptions to transportation and business are likely during the course of the protest.
Extinction Rebellion typically holds protests which often leading to significant travel disruption, as well as numerous clashes between protesters and police. Typically, these protests are held with the intention to disrupt travel/operations in a certain area, targeting infrastructure such as overland and underground rail, airports, and government buildings/financial districts.
Those in Helsinki are advised to monitor developments, avoid protests as a precaution, and adhere to all instructions issued by the local authorities.