The Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) issued a traffic advisory on Saturday, December 14, ahead of Victory Day celebrations on Monday, December 16. The main parade will take place at 10:30 (local time) at National Parade Square. Individuals who have not been invited to attend the event are prohibited from circulating their vehicle between 05:00 and 13:00 on a number of major roads in the capital, including:
- Khejur Bagan crossing-Aeroplane crossing
- Rokeya Smarani-Mirpur 10 roundabout
- Shyamoli Shishu Mela crossing-Agargaon light crossing-Rokeya Shoroni
- Prime Minister's Office-Agargaon Link Road
- Bijoy Shoroni crossing-Aeroplane crossing
- Crescent Lake-Ganabhaban crossing
- Ministry of Defence-Planning Commission-BICC crossing
Several important dignitaries are expected to attend the state celebrations, including Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina as well as other regional statesmen. A heightened security presence and transportation and business disruptions are expected throughout Bangladesh, and in Dhaka in particular.
Victory Day is observed as a public holiday intended to commemorate the victory of allied forces over the Pakistani forces in the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971. It marks the official secession of East Pakistan into Bangladesh.
Individuals in Bangladesh, and in Dhaka in particular, are advised to monitor the situation, anticipate transportation and business disruptions, avoid all public gatherings as a precaution, and adhere to any instructions issued by the local authorities.